In an era of increasingly complex tax codes, regulatory oversight, and reporting requirements, its now more important than ever to have a trusted tax accountant to assist with these matters. Furthermore, important provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) will be implemented at the beginning of 2014 and will present serious tax and compliance challenges to individuals, corporations and nonprofit organizations. There are several ways to find accountants Yorktown, Virginia:
* Personal referrals are often one of the better ways in which to find accounting services. Your friends or colleagues, particularly those with similar tax burdens, are an excellent way to begin your research.
* The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) is another resource worth pursuing.
*The National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) is good starting point if one wishes to locate a local, tested Enrollment Agent (EA). Enlisting the help of an Enrollment Agent is advisable for those with more difficult tax-related questions.
* Most states, including Virginia, have a Board of Accountancy that can help with finding a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in your state.
* For those with relatively simple income tax returns, a retail tax franchise may be the best option. However, those facing more complex or time-consuming tax compliance needs are often better served by a CPA.
* For those with very complex tax-related legal matters, retaining the services of a tax attorney is sometimes necessary. If an individual or organization owes a significant amount to the IRS, are subject to an investigation, are forming a new organization, or handling matters of an estate, receiving counsel from a tax attorney is often advisable.
Once an accountant or tax professional is located, one should confirm the following about the company:
* How many years they have been in business.
* What accountants philosophy (e.g., conservative, aggressive, etc.) the firm takes with respect to write offs.
* What licenses the staff members have.
* If all the tax specialties required to assist you are available with the firm.
* What the total costs associated with the services will be and if the billing is done at a flat rate or hourly.